Brexit rules: Jan 2021


UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement

On January 1st 2021 the UK formally left the European Union. The UK is no longer part of the Customs Union or Single Market, or bound by the European Court of Justice. 

Although the new trade agreement is over one thousand pages long, much remains uncertain about how it will affect the live music industry in practice. LIVE is working closely with Government stakeholders to understand the full implications of the deal and we will keep our members updated.

Below is a summary of the key announcements for our industry:

Transportation and touring

1. As anticipated, Europe-wide cabotage is no longer permitted

2. Trucks leaving the UK are limited to three stops within EU member states before tractor units must return to the UK. The trailers can continue if drawn by EU operated tractor units.

3. Tours originating in Europe have similar limitations on the number of permissible stops within the UK before tractor units have to return to the EU.

4. These conditions and restrictions apply to vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. Checks are being made on the implications for vans and coaches.

5. The carnet system once again applies within Europe (as it did prior to the UK’s membership of the EU, and in line with other non-EU international tours). The carnet process is well established, but its reintroduction will add friction and cost to European touring.

Immigration and visas

1. Under the new deal, UK citizens are able to visit the EU without a visa for up to 90 days.

2. The EU does not have competency over member state immigration systems. We expect to receive more clarity about how this will affect workers in the live music industry in the coming weeks.

4. EU musicians (and entourages) can come into the UK through any of the existing three routes that apply to non-visa nationals (i.e. US/Canada, etc). These are:

     i. Certificates of Sponsorship (Tier 5) – which can easily be issued by licence holders

     ii. Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) – presenting a contract / proof of engagement at the point of entry at the border

     iii. Permit Free Festivals